To summarize lecture 4 of our Cons. Sci. course on protected areas, we have gone for a point-form pros and cons approach (see below).
Without humans (Fortress protected areas)
- Fully protects areas with reduced exploitation
- Restrictions on land use
- Changes to access rights
With humans (Community-based protected areas)
- Humans are allowed to continue their livelihood, and can benefit to protection
- Unequal benefit distribution
- Separation of environment and culture
- example: Guatemala: Women and conservation in the Maya Biosphere Reserve
We suggest that the pros out way the cons for the “with humans” approach with increased communication to reduce conflict within human inclusive protected areas. So let’s storm the fortress. Woooo!!!!
By Group 3 (as a part of our rapid blogging exercise)